Although living a healthy life is a huge part of my mission and who I am, I am a big believer in a good splurge every now and again. I actually think that indulging in a few special treats can be good for you. First, it helps tame our daily cravings. When we tell ourselves that we are never allowed to have another cookie or piece of bread then all we can think about is the cookie or bread! If we allow ourselves to enjoy those treats every once in a while, then we can get a better handle on our cravings. Second, when we overdo it on unhealthy food or alcohol, we really feel the effects of it the next day. Especially when we've been eating clean. So, it gets us back on the healthy train really quickly and we aren't tempted by those treats for a while. Lastly, life just kinda sucks when we don't allow ourselves to enjoy everything that it has to offer.
So, when you do decide to splurge this holiday, here are my top 5 tips to get back on track, fast! So, enjoy a holiday cookie or an extra cup of eggnog, but within reason, please :)
1. Take Activated Charcoal :: Activated charcoal has been used for thousands of years in Chinese and Western medicine because of its powerful ability to soak up toxins, bind to poisons and improve digestive health. In hospitals today, doctors use activated charcoal to help with overdoses and poison ingestion as well as general bloating and detoxification. I take activated charcoal if I know I'm going to be eating an unhealthy meal or dessert or drinking more than 1-2 drinks at night to help me remove the toxins from my body more quickly. Read more about activated charcoal here and purchase some here.
2. Drink Warm Lemon Water With Ginger and Cayenne :: Lemon, ginger and cayenne are powerful detoxifiers and really help rev up your metabolism. Drink a glass before you go out to dinner or before a large meal and then follow up with another glass right when you wake up in the morning. I drink this almost every day just to get my digestion started but definitely drink this before and after a night of unhealthy eating and drinking. The ginger in the tea will also help sooth your stomach and ease bloating
3. Get in a Quick Workout the Next Morning :: Even if your workout is only 10-15 minutes long, get your heart pumping the morning after a big night. When you get your blood and muscles going they encourage detoxification throughout your body which pushes all of the bad stuff out. Try a series of jumping lunges, push ups and squats or get in some sprints on the track or treadmill.
4. Drink a Bulletproof Coffee or Tea :: The healthy fats in bulletproof coffee or tea will help eliminate unwanted toxins in your body and also get your metabolism going the next morning. If you aren't sure what bulletproof coffee is, check out my recipe here.
5. Sleep :: That's what the holidays are for, right?! Stay in bed an extra hour or two, or do your best to get in a quick nap. Sleep is the ultimate way to detox and rejuvenate your body. Without enough sleep your body is in total crisis mode. Add an unhealthy night of food and drinks on top of that and you're setting yourself up to feel like total crap.