Between holiday parties, work trips, travel and freezing cold weather, I haven't been as "strict" about eating healthily or fitting in workouts as I normally am. I mean, who wants to go for a run when it's freezing cold outside or pass up that glass of mulled wine at a friends cocktail party? It's important to enjoy the holidays and give your body rest here and there. We can't be perfect all of the time!
So, my holiday philosophy is to focus on ADDING healthy foods in wherever I can, instead of focusing on what I shouldn't be eating. It's a really manageable and positive way to stay healthy without being too hard on yourself. Luckily, there are plenty of amazing things that we can add to our diet that help rev metabolism so that things don't get completely out of control during the holidays. So, eat these babies up!
1. Citrus Fruits :: Think lemons, grapefruit and oranges. Citrus is full of water and also has Vitamin-C which has been found to help metabolize fat faster. Try lemon water in the morning, add grapefruit to your salad or snack on an orange mid-day.
2. Green Tea :: This power-packed drink contains catechins, an antioxidant that helps turn fat in the liver into energy and then has also been said to release fat from fat cells. Sip a cup in the morning or early afternoon as green tea does contain caffeine.
3. Eggs :: Eggs are packed with healthy fats and protein so they help you stay fuller longer. Eggs also contain all of the essential amino acids, and at the right rations, which means it's easier for your body to use that protein to repair and rev metabolism.
4. Spicy Foods :: Add a little extra spice to your curry or any other food for a fantastic metabolic boost. Spicy foods contain Capsaicin which helps temporarily increase your metabolism. Try adding red pepper flakes to your eggs or avocado, slice fresh ginger into your tea or sprinkle some cayenne into a stir fry!
5. Kelp :: Sounds yucky but kelp can actually be really delicious! Plus, it contains iodine which helps support the thyroid. You thyroid is the master regulator of your metabolism so the more support you can give it, the better! Try a seaweed salad next time you are out for sushi!
6. Water :: Studies have found that drinking 16oz of water first thing in the morning can boost metabolism by up to 30% for an hour or more. Easy enough, right? Drink warm water with lemon in the morning for double the boost and a nice tangy taste!
7. Chia Seeds :: These little guys are high in protein, fiber and omega 3's which give a powerful boost to your metabolism. Try making my chia pudding recipe or sprinkle some on your yogurt or salad.