Today, I'd like to paint a clear picture to show you what it's really like to work with a health coach and why it might help you on the road to your healthiest you.
Have you lost weight only to find it creeping back a few months later? Or did you promise yourself that you'd commit to a new "diet" on Monday only to find yourself elbow deep in a box of cookies on Wednesday night? Maybe you find that you're struggling with your sleep or feel anxious and stressed all of the time?
If you've set health or wellness goals for yourself but just can't seem to meet them, you may want to consider working with a health coach. Just like having a mentor at your office or a fitness trainer at the gym, a health coach is your go-to guru on your journey to achieving your health goals. Your health goals can be anything from losing weight to improved motivation and clarity at work, a better relationship with your partner or even how to better manage stress. Your health is so much more than the current fad diet or fitness trend and that is exactly what working with a health coach helps you manage and understand.
My first experience working with a health coach was about 5 years ago. I was really struggling with my sleep, stress at work and anxiety around what to eat. I wasn't getting the support that I needed from my doctor and it didn't seem appropriate to bring up over brunch with girlfriends, so I wasn't really sure where to turn. I did a little bit of research and stumbled upon this whole new category in the health world called Health Coaching. I began speaking with my own health coach regularly over the phone and found so much relief, inspiration and guidance. Speaking with a professional that had my own personal interests in mind was profound. I learned to block out mixed messages that I received from women's fitness magazines, blogs or what I heard in the gym or on the street. Instead, I learned how to listen to my own body and find out what made ME feel healthy and strong. I was so moved by the experience and how deeply it changed me that I decided I too wanted to become a health coach. I wanted to empower women in the same way that my health coach had empowered me!
Working with a professional makes achieving your goals so much easier and also helps you understand what you really need. Yes, you could do it on your own, but your changes and understanding of your own health will be so much richer if you have someone to walk next to you on your journey and to hold you accountable. With that in mind, here are the Top 5 Reasons I believe that every woman needs a health coach in her life.
1. You Receive a Plan That is Completely Unique to You :: When you work with a health coach, you will receive a plan that is constructed around your very own personal needs. I work with clients that come to me for a variety of reasons. Some are looking to lose weight, others want to manage their anxiety around food and then some are looking to improve their athletic performance or gain more mental clarity at work. Each and every person is different and therefore needs a different plan to see their goals through. I do not believe that one single diet or health tip works for everyone. We are all different, leading unique lives and therefore require individualized plans for success.
2. You Have Someone in Your Corner :: It's always great when you have someone cheering you on, especially during a transition period. When you hire a health coach, it's like you have your own personal cheerleader by your side! There are moments during major change when you feel like you're on a long and lonely path. What I love about working with my clients is that we are often in direct communication before and after our 1 on 1 meetings. Clients are constantly texting me photos of items at the grocery store so that I can provide them with immediate feedback or sending me cheery messages of success after a great workout or photos of new recipes.
3. You Make Sustainable, Long Term Changes :: Sure, you could do Whole 30 or the South Beach diet and probably lose a little bit of weight, for a while. But, what diets fail to address are our everyday stressors and emotions that can easily derail us from our wellness plan if we haven't built the right foundation. Maybe you've lost a little bit of weight but you can't seem to get a handle on that late night snacking or sugar addiction. When you work with a health coach, you work together to address the emotions behind why you might reach for a snack late at night or not continue on your Whole 30 journey after the 30 days are up. We are emotional beings and need support on our journey to health. Going on a diet isn't like switching on a light bulb for a 30 day challenge and then you just throw everything out the window when you are done. When you really want to achieve your health goals, it's important that you address the emotions behind your food and why you want to make a change.
4. You Are Always Empowered With New Ideas :: I absolutely love what I do so I am always reading up on new health tips, creating yummy recipes and in tune with what's happening in the wellness world. I'm always sending clients emails with new things I've learned, fun ways to change cooking and then offering support as they make their transition. Instead of looking to google or health magazines for your "health tips" a health coach lets you know what will actually work and how to seamlessly integrate it into your life.
5. You Can Get Really Specific With Your Health :: Instead of using sentences like "just eat more salad, consume less calories or workout more", when you work with a health coach, you get really specific information on what health actually means and how to make it work in your life. No, health is not about eating less and exercising more. Plus, that's just a really crappy way to live your life. I get really specific with clients on what breakfast should look like for them, where to get the best deals on snacks or foods or how to prepare meals for the upcoming week. Your health is specific to you and so should all of your health recommendations.
I believe so strongly in the health coaching process and in the changes that you can make that I am offering my readers a free 20 minute phone consultation for the next week. Sign up HERE or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 3/29 to receive your free 20 minute health consultation by phone. We will discuss your needs and talk through my program and how it all works. Please mention this article when you sign up and your consultation will be comped. I look forward to hearing from you and helping you achieve your goals!