In a perfect world, we would get all of the nutrients that we need directly from our food. But, in this day and age, that can get pretty difficult. When you are running from your morning workout, to the shower, and then hopping straight on the bus to work 10 minutes later, that doesn't give you much time to make a full breakfast. So, when you are short on time or just looking to mix up your meals or snacks, protein powders can be a great way to get in nutrients that your body needs in a fast, easy and tasty way. Though, unfortunately, there are a lot of protein powders out there full of additives, sugars, preservatives and a whole host of other things that are ready to wreak havoc on your body.
Below I've summed up my 5 favorite protein powders so that you don't have to think twice about how to fuel your body when you are on the go. You'll notice that I've included some vegan brands too. These are great alternatives for those looking to stay away from dairy or animal products or just don't react well to whey protein. Plenty of people feel fine after a whey protein shake but others find that it really upsets their stomach. I am one of those people! As always, be sure to pay attention to the signs that your body gives you after you eat (or drink) and make a decision based on what is best for you. Power up!
My Top 5 Protein Powder Recommendations ::
1. Ora Organics Superfood Vegan Protein Powder :: A great protein powder for vegans and it tastes bomb. I recently made a smoothie bowl using this protein powder with coconut milk, blueberries, raspberries, half an avocado and some stevia. I topped the bowl with chia and hemps seeds. So good! Use code DARBYJACKSON-637cb for 10% OFF this product!
2. Whole Foods 365 Grass-Fed Whey :: A staple in my kitchen until I recently found out that I'm reacting negatively to whey. I recommend this product to all of my clients when we do our Whole Foods store walk throughs because it tastes great and is full of great ingredients; its also priced really well! If you do okay with whey protein then this is a really good option. I've only seen this available in Whole Foods Markets so shop for this there.
3. Bulletproof Grass-Fed Whey Protein :: This is my husbands favorite protein powder and for good reason. It's grass-fed and totally crap free. It's tasteless so don't expect it to spice up a smoothie but it will give you the energy and nutrients that you need. Try adding some vanilla or cacao powder to it for a little taste.
4. Vega One Plant Based Nutritional Shake :: This has been my go-to protein powder recently. Don't be fooled by the incredibly long ingredient list. Unlike most other products with long lists of ingredients, this protein powder is packed full of veggies, antioxidants and even probiotics. This is probably the powder I use most often because of its nutrient content and taste. My favorite is the vanilla flavor!
5. Naked Whey Protein Powder :: This protein powder is relatively new on my radar but I'm in love with the ingredient list (only one, grass-fed whey) and the packaging is pretty sleek too. It's not cheap but normally, you get what you pay for when it comes to protein powders.